· Quick and Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice ·
Healthy Fried Rice
Recently we took our kids to a Japanese restaurant for my mothers birthday and we sat at the hibachi table where we are able to watch the ‘show’ and see how everything is cooked. I wasn’t too sure how our kids would eat because sometimes in restaurants they get a little overwhelmed with the noise, and the excitement and eating can be a struggle. Especially for my little one. Usually my daughter will devour the rice, and my son – not so much. Well whatever they did (probably add a ton of butter and sauces) to the rice, my son devoured it all, and then some of his sisters. So now I had to figure out how to make healthy fried rice.
That night I researched how to make Japanese Fried Rice. Most recipes of course called for butter, oil, lots of rice obviously, and some sauces that I didn’t have access too. I made a variation of it, and it was a huge hit.
Ok now my plan was to make a healthy version. I had heard about using cauliflower for the rice in the past, but I wasn’t sure how it would work out as I wasn’t a huge fan of other cauliflower replacement meals. But I tried it, and I actually loved it, never missed the rice. And so did my kids. They ate a huge bowl, and asked for more.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1-2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (gluten free to keep it gluten free)
- 1 tbsp Garlic terriaki sauce
- 1 tbsp soysauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp hoisin sauce
- Chop up onions and fry them in a little oil on a med-high heat
- In a food processor (or by hand) pulse and chop up cauliflower into small ‘rice sized’ pieces
- Chop up veggies of choice, carrots, celery, peppers, etc into small pieces (can also steam veggies in microwave to cut down on cooking time)
- Add veggies to onions
- Add cauliflower to onions
- Add sauces
- Once cooked make a ‘well’ in the inside of the ‘fried rice’ (or cook in another pan) and fry up some eggs with some butter
- Once eggs are scrambled up and cooked, mix to combine with other ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy